This video guide is geared towards radio but it is still helpful for online audio. Julian Vaccari, a BBC journalist, takes us through the essentials for a fast turnaround of audio clips – especially helpful for news.
His main points are:
– Be prepared and anticipate the story.
– Listen to a piece of audio in full before you select your clip. If it is a speech, make sure you listen to the Q and A afterwards.
– Think about what you are using the clip for when you select the duration
– Choose the best quality clips, with no glitches etc
– Listen out for details that move a story on and include these in your audio clip
– Include any memorable or colourful phrases
– Cut out words that don’t add anything like ‘I believe’ and ‘The report concludes that’
– If you make internal cuts, do take out coughing, long pauses and swearing but be sure not to alter the meaning of the speaker in your clip